- Previous – Safe Treatments for a Cold
- Next – Natural Pain Management Methods
- Table of Contents
- Angela’s Book Store
Side sleeping is safest for your baby and more comfortable for you as your belly continues to expand. The experts recommend lying on your left side to allow for maximum blood circulation to your body and your baby. While either side is okay, left is best. Don’t panic if you roll from side to front or back while you sleep. You haven’t done anything to harm your baby. Just roll back onto your side and try to fall asleep.
Here are some tips to minimize your discomfort during sleep:
- Lie on your side with knees bent and a pillow between your knees
- For belly and back support, place a pillow under your tummy or between your knees
- For heartburn, elevate the head of the bed with books; or prop your upper body with pillows.
- Try a full-body pillow (pregnancy pillow).
“With the new baby on the way, I strongly recommend the following books for your family.” -Angela
References and Resources
- Mayo Clinic – How Should I position myself for sleep during pregnancy?
- March of Dimes – Sleeping Problems
- Womenshealth.gov – Body changes and discomforts: Fatigue, sleep problems
- U.S. National Library of Medicine – Problems sleeping during pregnancy