- Previous – Optimizing Your Fertility
- Next – Tips for Vegetarians
- Table of Contents
- Angela’s Book Store
During your pregnancy, you’ll be eating for two (you and your baby). But don’t think of this as eating twice as much. Instead, think of it as eating twice as well. Do you know that most of your baby’s major organs form during the first few weeks of pregnancy? Eating well helps create ideal conditions for early fetal development.
Here are the basic principles of healthy eating and balanced diet:
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Choose learn protein and low-fat dairy products.
- Select a variety of foods.
- Drink plenty of water.
Eat several small meals a day and snack on healthy foods. Also pay close attention to ingredient lists and nutrition information on food labels. You can use this information to track your sugars and fats intake, which add calories but give little nutrition to your diet. Also try to limit salty foods.
During pregnancy, a healthy diet is essential. Here are the nutrients that deserve special attention. Here’s what tops the list.
- Folate and folic acid – Prevent birth defects
- Protein – Promote growth
- Iron – Prevent anemia
- Calcium – Strengthen bones
- Vitamin D – Promotes bone strength
“With the new baby on the way, I strongly recommend the following books for your family.” -Angela
References and Resources
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists – Nutrition During Pregnancy
- Mayo Clinic – Pregnancy diet: Essential nutrients
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics – Eating Right During Pregnancy
- Wikipedia – Nutrition and pregnancy