- Previous – Labor Contractions
- Next – Tips to Relieve Morning Sickness
- Table of Contents
- Angela’s Book Store
During the second or third trimester, you may have painful leg cramps particularly at night or while you sleep. Although the exact cause of leg cramps is unknown, slow blood return associated with the pressure of the growing baby on your leg veins may be responsible.
Follow these tips to relieve the discomfort of leg cramps:
- Stretch your calf muscles before bed
- Stretch the affected muscle. Straightening your knee and flexing your foot upward.
- Massage your claves
- Rest your legs up on pillows or the arm of a sofa
- Wear shoes with low heals
- Take frequent breaks if you sit or stand for long periods
- Wear support hose if you stand a lot during the day
“With the new baby on the way, I strongly recommend the following books for your family.” -Angela
References and Resources
- Womenshealth.gov – Body changes and discomforts: Leg Cramps
- March of Dimes – Leg Cramps
- Mayo Clinic – What causes leg cramps during pregnancy, and can they be prevented?